Saturday, March 17, 2007

lolo's Crispy Sweet and Sour Seitan


lolo over at the ppk posted about this Crispy Sweet and Sour Seitan. She posted the recipe on her blog, VeganYumYum, and I had all of the ingredients, so I just had to try it. In case you can't tell, I made a batch of seitan recently and I've been trying to use it up. I couldn't decide which of these pictures I preferred, so I posted both.
This was pretty good. I definitely liked the method for making seitan crispy and will try it again with other sauces as well. The sweet and sour sauce was a little vinegary for me, but I think that adding some apricot preserves to it next time will fix that. I also forgot to add the salt, so I'm sure that didn't help.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just saw some Orange Seitan on another blog and now I'm definitely craving some vegan Chinese food. Your pics look delicious. Now I don't know which one to try.

KleoPatra said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm! Sweet! That really looks wonderful. Crispy seitan is something i have yet to try and i do love seitan already!

Sheree' said...

Oh delish! I use pineapple in my sweet and sour, never tried apricot. I have heard of marmelade being used. Oh yes, I have to try this.

urban vegan said...

scrumptious!

n/a said...

Yum! That No Name seitan was so delicious; I had it a few days ago.

Anonymous said...

you know, i have a super sensitive stomach when it comes to vinegar, so i only add 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar to it, and don't bother with adding salt, since soy sauce already has plenty of it. it comes out fine and never bothers my stomach! and i'm with you on loving how crispy it comes out. yum.