Thursday, December 20, 2007

Leek and Bean Cassoulet With Biscuits


How on earth do you post pictures side-by-side in blogger?

Anyhoo, this is the leek and bean cassoulet with biscuits from Veganomicon. This dish is comfort food at its best. It's a sort of vegetable stew with biscuits baked right on top. Yummy! My boyfriend tried to convince me that since he'd never had leeks before, that this should count as Mission 3 of Operation Let's Eat Some New Vegetables, but I voted him down. After all, we eat onions all the time and they are both from the same genus. I didn't pick out a new vegetable at the store the other day, so there probably won't be a new mission until after New Years (we are going to visit his parents in Nashville all next week).

Something I have noticed about Veganomicon is that when they tell you approximately how long a recipe will take from start to finish, they are actually right. That might sound like a small thing, but someone the times are rarely right for other cookbooks, so this makes me happy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! this looks so good. where can i find the recipe?? i want to eat it right now!

bazu said...

That looks wonderful!

When I want side by side pictures, I make photo mosaics through bighugelabs.com. I haven't figured out any other way to do it through blogger!

Unknown said...

That looks so good!

Seitan Said Dance said...

That looks great. It's ridiculously cold right now, and that'd probably be the perfect food to help warm up. I may make it this weekend!

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful. I'm going to have to try it.

Anonymous said...

I made this recipe over the weekend, but I found it to be pretty bland. Did you do anything differently from the recipe? I followed it to the T.

BTW, I have a link to you from my foodblog.

Laura said...

I followed the recipe to a T as well. I used low-sodium vegetable broth, though (that's what I usually use) and we found that it needed a tad more salt. We very rarely add any extra salt at the dinner table, but this time we did.

I'll add you to my blogroll. I've been a bit lax about updating my links lately.

Anke said...

this post is kinda old already, but in case you read this: make the pics small, end select "left" for one, and "right" for the other. then they should appear sinde by side. however, your template is pretty narrow, so maybe there isn't enough room, not even that way.