Monday, December 17, 2007

Mission 2: Spinach

Mission 2 for Operation "Let's Eat Some New Vegetables" brings us the mushroom and spinach strata from Veganomicon. I am pleased with myself for getting my boyfriend to eat spinach without complaint. Normally he's quite scared of the stuff and has even pleaded with me not to add it to lasagna. I picked out this recipe to make before we went grocery shopping yesterday. When we were in the produce section, I simply said that I needed some spinach and picked some out. He did not even question what I was going to do with it. I was already working on the recipe when he came home from work, and he said that it smelled good. Not once did he balk that it contained spinach. And....he loved the dish! (As did I.) It uses blended up soft tofu (with some other ingredients) as the base of the custard, which is poured over the vegetable and bread cube mixture. I should have taken a picture of the whole dish, as it was pretty neat looking.

The spicy yogurt tempeh is a test recipe for frecklefoot (another ppk member) of One Chubby Vegan. It was tasty and I was glad to find another tempeh preparation that my boyfriend likes (although I think his favorite will always be tempeh wingz....I can't really blame him on that one). Mine didn't turn out to be all that spicy at all, though. Most of the other testers have reported that theirs was, though, so either some of my spices weren't as hot as theirs, or I just like things spicier. Either one is certainly a possibility. I will still make this dish again, but will add more spice to it probably. I'd also like to try baking it. I tend to like to try the same recipe both pan-fried and baked, to see which we prefer.

We have finally finished all of our stuffed mushrooms (there were several meals between the previous post and this one). They were good, but I was getting kind of tired of them. Perhaps that's why people usually serve stuffed mushrooms as party appetizers, as there are more people around to eat them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohh, that all looks so good. I've been eyeing that strata recipe, I'm hoping to make it for my sister while she's home (oddly, mushrooms and spinach are one of the few vegetables she'll eat).

bazu said...

I love operation let's eat some new vegetables! That might just have to be my new year's resolution...

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

great to hear that the dish was a success!! the strata DOES look appetizing - great way to get extra vegetable servings! :0)

MeloMeals said...

Looks great! Congratulations on your operation..

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

My partner used to also be very wary of spinach, but I think I cured that particular phobia with a raw spinach salad. I guess it was just the cooked spinach taste that was so scary. -Amy@Wheeler's

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

OH! I forgot to add, if you're trying to get more veggie diversity into your life, you should try signing up to receive food from farm co-ops. You just donate however much money at the beginning of the season to help them cover costs, and then you get a big old box of whatever they grew each week. -Amy@Wheeler's